Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Decisions

I am attempting to determine the best road to travel. This is not a map question, but rather a life changing moment. I want to be a teacher. I have long wanted to be a teacher, but it was never the right time. There was not enough money for me to obtain my MEd, or there was no daycare for the child/children at home at the time. Whatever the reason, including thinking I wanted to travel down other roads, I never made it...until now! Now is the time. There can be no more delays. This is too important for all of us.

Now my decision is how to I get there. Do I pursue the MEd? Do I apply for a 3 year certification in the subject area of my BA? Or do I attend a one-year certification program? My BA is not in education. I have no teaching experience. Well, I played a great teacher when I was little. I also taught Princess Nike how to read prior to her attending Kindergarten. Oh, and I have also been a GS leader, and attended what has seemed like 9 million parent-teacher conferences. I know what I like in a teacher, and I know what I don't like...as all parents do. Which path to take to become a teacher? I am stumped. I have asked educators what they would suggest, and they all say the MEd. Great on paper, but that takes 2 years and the most amount of money out of the 3 possibilities.

If I choose the alt certification program, that would allow me to work in the elementary level (K-4/5). By pursuing immediate certification, I would be teaching social studies to grades 5-9. I like all of these ages, especially since I have children in those exact grades! I just don't know which stage I want to teach more.

I just decided. I am going to apply for certification for Social Studies, and see if I can earn that based on my college courses. If I can not, then I am off to the one-year certification program. Thanks for listening, and thanks for helping me to make up my mind! I couldn't have done it without you.

1 comment:

Katja said...

Good luck! I've noticed that often it just helps to voice out your dreams. When I said the first time "I'm going to start my own company" I thought "now it's said and done, I'm not going to back up anymore".

Thanks for visiting my site!
katja from Skimbaco